Questions Related to Students

How much will I have to pay for tuition?

A PSA may not charge tuition.

Who provides transportation to a PSA?

A PSA is considered a local school district and is responsible for following the same legislative guidelines for transporting students as a local traditional school district. If the PSA does provide transportation to its enrolled pupils, it must follow the provisions of the Revised School Code (MCL 380.1321) and the Pupil Transportation Act, 1990 PA 187. For further information on transportation issues, please contact Sue Howell at 517/373-6388.

May a PSA be selective in their admissions policy?

A PSA may not be selective. It may not screen out students based on disability, race, religion, sex, test scores, etc. It may predetermine the ages, grades, and number of students it will serve. A random selection process must be used if the number of applicants exceeds the school’s enrollment capacity.

What age does my child have to be to enroll them in kindergarten?

Michigan law entitles a child who is 5 years of age by December 1 to enroll in kindergarten. There are Customer Satisfaction issue papers covering a variety of subjects.

The documents are in PDF format (requires the FREE Adobe® Acrobat® Reader).

  • Compulsory School Attendance – Attendance Policies and Grades.
  • Enrollment – Proof of Identity and Age.
  • Grade Promotion and Retention.
  • Graduation Requirements.
  • Kindergarten Enrollment Age and Alternative Kindergarten Programs.
  • Parental Rights.
  • Parent/Student Problem Solving.
  • Residency.
  • Schools of Choice
  • Suspensions and Expulsions.
  • Expulsions due to Weapons, Arson and Criminal Sexual Conduct.
  • Petition for School Reinstatement
  • Parental Involvement Policy – Title I.

What is the chain of command that I should use if my child has a problem at the academy?

First, the school should have in place a student handbook that may address your issue. If not, the chain of command is: teacher, principal, local board of education over the academy (school board president list is available by contacting the Public School Academy Program) and then the authorizer.

If a student voluntarily leaves a PSA, must the student’s resident school district enroll the student?

Yes, with the exception of expulsion due to possession of weapons, committing arson, or criminal sexual conduct in a school building or on school grounds, as outlined in the Revised School Code, MCL 380.1311. Expulsions should be handled on an individual basis.

If a student voluntarily leaves a local school district must a PSA enroll the student?

Yes, unless the PSA has reached their enrollment capacity.

Does a PSA have to enroll a student that has been expelled from another district?

A PSA does not have to accept the student.

Is a PSA considered a constituent district in intermediate school districts levying area vocational education millage, and do PSA students have access to the programs and services provided with those funds?

Yes, just as with any other public school district located in the intermediate school district.  Services must be allocated to a PSA on the same proportional basis used for other constituent districts.

What question should a parent ask a charter school representative before choosing to send their child to that school?

All charter schools are different, even if they use the same curriculum. Visit the school and ask questions about the school’s educational program, leadership (governing board and administration), faculty, and policies. Most schools will provide a Parent/Student Handbook, which includes general information.