LSSU Writing Center
Helping students improve their writing, revising, and proofreading skills.
Writing Center Tutors are available by for drop in tutoring and by appointment. For longer papers, please submit an appointment request at least 48 hours in advance via the link below and a member of our staff will reach out to you to book your appointment time. If you need assistance immediately, please use the links below to visit the online Writing Center.
The ability to speak and write in a clear, organized and effective way is vital to your academic success on campus as well as for any field of work you plan to pursue when you leave college. The primary goal of the Writing Center is to help all students improve their writing, revising and proofreading skills by working with a trained tutor on their own writing. When you make an appointment at the Writing Center, our friendly and talented staff will work with you one-on-one at any stage of the writing process. Writing tutors will not fix your drafts, but they will carefully read then offer suggestions and instruction about how you can make your writing more clear, concise and interesting.
Writing Center Policies & Procedures
- Students are strongly encouraged to book an appointment prior to arriving at the Writing Center.
- All appointments must be booked at least 24 hours in advance.
- The Writing Center Intake form must be completed at the time of booking.
- Walk ins are welcome but booked appointments will always take priority for our writing tutors.
- Assignments with more than 8 pages must book an appointment to meet with a writing tutor.
- Students must meet in person with a writing tutor to receive feedback.
- Exceptions will only be made for students not attending class on the main campus.
- Appointments are limited to 60 minutes. To make the most of this time, please me sure to have questions ready or know what you’d like to work on with your tutor.
- Students are able to book multiple appointments each week for longer assignments.
- Writing tutors will not do a full proofreading or edit of your paper. They are there to help you make your own writing stronger and that isn’t possible if they are correcting errors for you.
When visiting the Writing Center, students need to bring:
- Physical copy of the most recent draft of your assignment, if applicable.
- The assignment description, requirements, rubric, etc.
- An open mind and willingness to learn- the tutor will not write or edit your paper for you.
The ASC Front Desk staff will make copies or print for you if necessary. At the time of booking your appointment, you will be required to fill out the Writing Center Intake Form so that your tutor has all the information they need to help you during your appointment.
These tutorials were created by our student writing tutors and they cover the most common issues that students run into when writing.