Accessibility Services: Mission Statement
Accessibility Services’ (AS) goal is to work with students to identify, reduce, or remove barriers to obtain education. In pursuit of its mission AS:
- helps students develop: self-advocacy skills, responsibility, independence, and develop and use compensatory skills.
- assures that the services LSSU provides to students with disabilities are in compliance with legal mandates.
- provides timely, efficient, and fair accommodations and services.
- promotes awareness of services and accommodations available through Accessibility Services to students, prospective students, community, and LSSU: by contacting incoming freshman and transfer students; by presenting informational workshops; by providing informational materials.
- maintains academic integrity of LSSU’s degrees by monitoring substitutions and accommodations made for students with disabilities and by assuring substitutions and accommodations are being used responsibly.
- acts as a liaison between students, faculty, staff, and others by assisting in negotiation of accommodations, promoting effective educational experiences, and providing services to enable students to have equal access to LSSU and its programs and services.
- educates community, faculty, staff, and students about disabilities and prepares each to make use of feedback regarding the quality of educational accommodations each provides.
- ensures appropriate documentation indicating the specific accommodations is provided by each student.
- keeps current regarding trends and issues related to disabilities and informs relevant faculty and staff.
- refers students to appropriate organizations when necessary.