If you are interested in having samples analyzed at the CFRE Water Quality Lab, please follow the instructions below.
Sample Submission Instructions:
- Complete the Sample List and email your completed list to our Laboratory Technician, Shawnee McMillian, at
- Complete the Chain of Custody form and include it in the package with your shipment of samples
- Each sample ID must be unique. Each unique sample ID should correspond to a physical sample (the ID and the sample label on the container should correspond). Results will be reported using the sample IDs submitted on the Sample List form. Sample IDs should be 20 characters or less.
- A description of the sample matrix and hazards is required. Failing to provide this information could lead to delays or problems with your analysis.
- Any preservation of samples should be described in the Analysis Request, and specified by sample in the Sample List. Ex. If acid was added to preserve a sample, list the type of acid and the approximate final pH. Failing to list preservation methods could lead to delays or problems with your analysis.
- If samples require analysis within a specific time frame (e.g. to comply with holding times), please coordinate with us in advance to ensure that the deadline can be met. Include the proposed date that samples will be dropped off/shipped, and the timeframe in which the analysis is required.
Sample filtering must be done prior to submission, if filtering is necessary. At this time, CFRE’s Water Quality Lab does not offer sample preparation or filtering services. The user is responsible for ensuring that samples are collected, preserved, and stored appropriately.
Prepare your samples by sealing them in a plastic Ziploc bag, placing them on ice, and overnighting them to the address below:
ATTN: Shawnee McMillian
100 Salmon Run Way
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783